Electronic Case Reporting (eCR) is the automated generation and transmission of case reports from the electronic health record (EHR) to public health agencies for review and action. eCR makes disease reporting from healthcare to public health faster and easier. It moves data securely and seamlessly from the HER at the point of care, to data systems at state, territorial, and local agencies. eCR also allows public health to provide information back to healthcare professionals. This timely data sharing provides a real-time picture of COVID-19 to support outbreak management.
eCR Now is a strategic initiative that allows for rapid adoption and implementation of eCR for COVID-19. It improves COVID-19 reporting immediately, allows expansion to all reportable conditions, and features three components that make it easy to implement:
- Rapid eCR implementation through small cohort groups for provider sites that use an electronic health record (EHR) with eCR capabilities.
- eCR Now Fast Healthcare interoperability Resources (FHIR) app that non-eCR enabled EHRs can rapidly implement to automate eCR for COVID-19.
- Extension of the existing eHealth Exchange policy framework through an approved Carequality eCR implementation guide.
eCR Reduces Burden
- Decreases reporting work without disrupting the clinical workflow, allowing more focus on patient care
- Will fulfill your clinician’s reporting requirements
- Automatically sends required information to all appropriate public health agencies
- Eliminates the need for manual data entry, faxing or responding to calls from public health agencies
- Offers credit through the Promoting Interoperability Program for implementing eCR
- Is compliant with HIPAA and state reporting laws
- Improves COVID-19 reporting immediately and allows expansion to all reportable conditions
eCR Now Implementation Is Easy
- Onbaord in as few as three days with most EHR systems
- Use the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) app if your EHR is not eCR-enabled
- Participate through eHealth Exchange or Carequality without additional legal requirements
- Enhance learning and shared experiences with a growing network of implementers nationwide
Stay the course, stay well, mask up and stay tuned!